C3 105mm Howitzer
The C3 105-mm Howitzer is the replacement for the C1 105-mm Howitzer. It is towed by a truck that carries both the crew and ammunition. It has the capability to fire extended range ammunitions that can deliver rounds up to 18 km down range.
This howitzer is a mobile, general purpose, towed field artillery weapon. The C3 is manually operated, single loaded, air cooled, and uses semi-fixed ammunition. It can be employed for direct or indirect fire and, in the latter case, is very effective against most types of ground targets.
The C3 is structurally similar to the C1 Howitzer, but is distinguished by its longer 33-caliber barrel. Other improvements allow the gun to fire all natures of NATO 105mm Howitzer ammunition. The C3 was manufactured by RDM Manufacturing of Rotterdam Netherlands and delivered to Canada\’s Army Reserve in late 1998.
- High explosive
- High explosive anti-tank
- Extended Range Giat 2 (ERG 2)
- Normal rate of fire: 3 rounds per minute
- Length: 7.53 m
- Width: 3.80 m
- Minimum Height: 1.6 m (-89 mils, minimum elevation)
- Maximum Height: 4.56 m (1,245 mils, maximum elevation)
- Weight: 2,380 kg
- Range: 18 km
- Elevation: -89 mils to 1,245 mills (vertical movement)
- Traverse: 409 mils left and right (horizontal movement)
- Detachment: 7 soldiers
- Entered service: 1997-1998
- Number in service: 96