Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit
The Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit (ROWPU) is an advanced water treatment system capable of purifying any water source found in the world. It can be used to treat water contaminated by nuclear-biological-chemical warfare agents, as well as fresh, brackish and seawater.
Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit (ROWPU)The ROWPU is a fully integrated self-contained system with its own diesel power generator, automatic control system, and a double-pass reverse osmosis water purification system. The system is contained in a palletized enclosure enabling it to be transported via all modes of military transport. The ROWPU can be carried by an HLVW truck equipped with a palletized load system. Setup takes about 20 minutes.
Reverse Osmosis (RO) is a pressure driven membrane separation process that separates dissolved and suspended substances from water. The membrane acts as an impenetrable barrier removing unwanted substances such as salt, producing water safe for drinking. RO technology is ideally suited for field deployment since it is energy efficient and is inherently rugged and reliable.
- Purification: Pure water extraction employing reverse osmosis in either a single-pass (using one membrane bank) or double-pass mode (using two membrane banks) depending on the type of water being purified.
- Treatment: Two-stage pre-treatment provided by a 50-micron self-cleaning filter and a 5-micron cartridge filter. Post-treatment by chlorination.
- Production Rates: 5,000 litres/hour (at 8C water temperature) in single-pass mode and 2,400 litres/hour in double-pass mode.
- Raw water intake: approximately 10,000 litres/hour
- Daily production: 20 hours operation/day and 4 hours for maintenance
- Crew: Water Supply Detachment composed of three field engineers trained in advanced water supply or technicians specialized in water or fuel/environment
- Water Distribution: In bulk to units on military operations. In bags (if a water bagger is available) to individuals and organizations when no bulk water handling capability exists, such as in disaster relief operations.
- Operating Temperature Ranges: Air temperature -40C to 49C,
- Water temperature 3C to 40C
Transport: Transportable by road, air, sea or rail. The ROWPU will fit into a 20-foot ISO (International Standards Organization) container for worldwide handling, a prerequisite for peacekeeping operations. The ROWPU can be carried by an HLVW truck equipped with a palletized load system